Mia and Nick’s Room

February 24, 2010

This post has been a long time coming. A LONG time. I finally put the final pieces together when I finished the slipcovers for their glider and I literally put them on, sat down in the chair and started crying. I know it’s goofy and materialistic, but this is the first room in our house that’s actually finished. It’s also the first “nursery” of sorts that I’ve been able to do. When Amelia was born, we were living across the country in a not-even-1-bedroom 600 square foot loft/townhouse and her “room” was a crib in the middle of the lower half of our bedroom/office/general room. We moved to another apartment when she as 4.5 months old and she did have her own room there, but it was a rental and I couldn’t “decorate” and it wasn’t even really a bedroom – it was listed as a den/office and the doors were closet doors. She’ll be 3 in June and sitting in that chair in their room just made me think of how much we’ve done and accomplished since she was born – I never would have imagined that we’d be almost at her little brother’s first birthday and in our own house for almost a year. Our house is small, but we love it so much we can barely stand it. It’s just right for our little family and finishing this room for my two sweet little ones brought me so much joy in ways I never dreamed. I love the color to pieces. I love it so much I might even use the extra gallon we thought we’d need to paint the kitchen since we’re in the kitchen so often.

There are so many other things that I thought we would add to this room. Some we actually had in there and/or up on the walls, but we took them out/down. They’re still so little and Amelia is just barely getting to the point of going to play in her room alone. So we wanted to keep it calm and less cluttered as the main function in their room is sleeping at this point. Cheerful, yet calm. And no perfection. If it didn’t start perfect, then I knew I would worry less about something getting “messed up.” Sorry if it bothers you to see that I didn’t get the creases out of  the map and the sheets and that the quilt isn’t just so and there’s a doll sticking out from under the crib and that they scribbled on the chalk board while I was taking pictures  – quite honestly, it matters more to me to have the extra minutes to spend with my kids than it does that their sheets are perfect:)

Before:

After:

We still need a new light fixture and I’m finishing some embroidery that may or may not go on the walls. We thought we’d get a new rug to replace el cheap-o, but they’re done such a number on the one that’s there already that it might stay for bit longer. When we do replace it, it will either be a braided oval or one of those pretty striped, woven Dash & Albert rugs. Eventually we’ll also replace the hardware on their dresser, I just need to suck it up and haul myself and hour and a half to Hobby Lobby to get what I want for the right price.

Sources:

-Le Papier Studio – {if you could go ahead and ignore the fact that the baby in the silhouette is totally wearing a dress and not a little boy like I thought when I didn’t look closely enough at what I was choosing, that would be great;)}

-Window Pelmet Boxes – - so easy, based on this tutorial at Little Green Notebook. I would have liked to have made them taller and closer to the ceiling and had them come down a bit more over the top of the window, but the eave on the wall behind the crib made that complicated, so I just did what fit. I also don’t *love* the color of the lemons in there – it’s just the tiniest bit too saturated and I wanted to do the boxes again with a new fabric, but once we put them up originally Amelia really loved the lemons, so we just left them.

-Glider Revamp details

-Play Kitchen Renovation

-Old school Chalkboard and Play Kitchen are from Salvation Army

-Crib- Criagslist

-Toddler bed – garage sale(we would have otherwise done a twin bed)

-Dresser, bookshelf, globe and rocking horse piggy bank were my husband’s when he was a kid – we just painted the dresser. We have a lot more great things from when he was a baby and/or kid, but it’s all a bit much right now to add it in. Possibly some shelves up higher at some point, but it still just somehow feels like clutter rather than just a few small pieces they’ll use and appreciate.

-The lone lamp was $6 with the shade from The Christmas Tree Store. It has a match, but that lives in our bedroom.

-The mirror came from Kohl’s via another play area in our house. It never got used, so we decided to hang it at their level, even if it looks random, and they LOVE it. I’m so glad that we put it in that funny little spot on the wall because they have been laughing at themselves in the mirror for days!

Anything I missed?? Ask if you don’t see an answer and really really care to have an answer:)

{Linking to Metamorphosis Monday – check out lots more Before and Afters!}

About these ads
  1. February 24, 2010 8:48 am

Your kid’s room looks fantastic!! Wow, I love that color and all the little details you’ve put into it. You will love the HL knobs. And I’m so glad I saw your link to the pelmet at Little Green Notebook. I will be doing that one!

2. February 24, 2010 11:18 am

It’s PERFECT. So beautiful, calm (the blue is amazing), and personalized to your sweet family. You did a wonderful job. Can you come decorate Olivia’s room now? ;)

3. February 24, 2010 9:09 pm

oh my gosh lillian, i absolutely adore it! That blue reminds me of robin’s eggs, and seriously makes me feel all fuzzyinside:)
    So neat that thay have your husbands old gear from when he was a kid! My mama didnt keep anything from my childhood, or it was all too wel used from going through my younger 5 after me… but i totally obsess about getting things identical to what i had as a child for serge like old fisher price toys and stuff.
    I love how soothing this room is, and it is making me feel a little like serge’s room is too busy. Guess they are each great in their own ways. :)
    …and we have the same alphabet! (Dont you love martha;)
    Thank you so much for sharing! BTW that kitchen is incredible! You are magical with your remakes!
    oh yeah.. and i love your curtain material!
    ok, ill stop now:)

4. February 25, 2010 12:13 am

It’s lovely, and inspiring! I love everything about it (mostly that they share it). The fabric for the window treatment is dreamy.
    Great job!

5. Jen permalink
    February 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Lillian it looks so great! I don’t feel like any room in our house is done so I can totally relate with that feeling.

6. February 25, 2010 8:19 pm

It’s PERFECT! I love it and all the sweet details. The mirror at their level is such a great idea. We have a cheapo full mirror in our bedroom and Ethan gravitates to it … to make funny faces and laugh at himself.
    Great job!!

7. ell.uu permalink
    February 27, 2010 4:39 pm

i love it. what a perfect room. i really like how the alphabet cards turned out.

8. March 4, 2010 1:30 pm

It looks great! You did such a nice job combining DIY and thrifty finds to make something comfortable and rather elegant.

9. March 6, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi there. I’d love to do a complete tour of this room on Ohdeedoh.com.

If you’re interested, please send me an email and I can send you a few questions.

Beautiful room!
    Julia
    Editor, Ohdeedoh

10. March 7, 2010 11:03 pm

love the yellow on the window box & the blue on the walls. Thanks for the etsy source for your print too. Great inspiration for anyone with a shared bedroom.

11. Michele permalink
    April 1, 2010 5:46 pm

The room is darling! You did a wonderful job and the kids are going to love it.

12. April 8, 2010 4:19 pm

I love this! What a completely cheery room, and I love the chalkboard,too! Great job!

13. May 14, 2010 10:44 am

Love how the room turned out! So cute and organized! You did an amazing job!

14. amanda permalink
    May 14, 2010 2:10 pm

I love the color on the walls with the window valance in yellow! I have been looking for paint in this shade forever, and can’t seem to find the right color. What brand and color is this paint???

Very cute room!

May 17, 2010 9:28 am

Amanda,
      It’s True Value’s #2582 Surfboard. I searched alllllllll over to find just what I wanted, then really crossed all of my fingers and toes that it would be what I imagined in my mind and I LOVE it so very much!
      Lillian

15. amanda permalink
    May 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi, I absolutely love this room! The wall paint color is my favorite color. Where did you get the alphabet cards on the wall and crib bedding? Love it

May 24, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi Amanda,
      The alphabet cards are the Martha Stewart Animal Alphabet cards from Michael’s. I got them at least a year ago, though, so I have no idea if they’re still available. The crib bedding – the skirt is PBK and I think it’s an older style(I got it at a consignment sale) the bumper is BabyGap from also about a year ago and I got it on ebay:) Hope that helps! -Lillian

16. May 24, 2010 3:03 pm

I love this room! I am in the proccess of redecorating my daughter’s nursery and would love to know where you got the alphabet cards. Thanks!

17. Chantry permalink
    June 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi! I just wanted to say that this is hands down the best nursery I have ever seen. You did a great job!

18. May 2, 2011 8:39 am

WHAT an adorable room! I LOVE the color on the walls combined with the lemon fabric! Isn’t it amazing how color can change a room? The alphabet cards are so cute too!

19. May 2, 2011 2:22 pm

what a CUTE room! I love the colors, brightness, organization, and REALLY love those window valances! The lemons are just sweet. :)

20. May 2, 2011 7:37 pm

What a great room! I love the color and that kitchen is totally cute! Thanks for linking up to my house tour party!!

21. May 6, 2011 8:10 pm

i am visiting from houseography… that room is adorable!!!!! the color on the wall is perfect, andi love the abc artwork!

22. November 25, 2011 9:10 pm

I love your before and after! I’ve seen this room on Ohdeedoh, but seeing it here shows even more what an awesome job you did! I also found it humorous that we used to have the EXACT same dresser set, we also use Thirsties covers, it looks like your little guy is sucking on the same pacifier our little guy plays with (he doesn’t suck on it), and our little girl is sharing a room with her little brother :) Good work on a great room!

23. December 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi, Lillian! I know this is a long shot ~ I’m currently working on a project for a dear friend and came across your blog. If by any chance you still have the Martha Stewart Animal Flashcards and were willing to sell them ~ please please please email me your price. I’d love to buy them from you! Thanks!

24. Katie permalink
    December 29, 2011 12:51 pm

What are the dimensions of this room, if I may ask? It is so wonderful!

December 29, 2011 1:08 pm

I can’t find the exact dimensions, but I just asked my husband(he’s just one of those people who knows stuff like that!) and he said he thinks it’s about 10X14. Hope that helps!

25. Jessica permalink
    May 1, 2012 7:51 pm

I love the abc cards! Are those vintage or did you find them on etsy or something?

26. Sarah permalink
    October 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Congratulations!
    Will you please tell me the paint color?
    Thank you!

October 21, 2012 10:35 pm

It is True Value’s #2582 Surfboard .

1. Central Market and My First Edition of Farmer’s Market Fridays «
  2. August 12 «
  3. Baby, It’s Cold Outside «
  4. Quick, Easy Children’s Book Storage «
  5. Be Still My Heart: Shared Nursery and Toddler Room Roundup | Shoes Off, Please

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 331 other followers