Quick and Easy Children’s Book Storage

December 30, 2010

Call me crazy, but I kind of felt like posting about something that has nothing to do with Christmas or holidays or presents or cooking or resolutions or looking back on the year. I’m still stuck firmly in the in-between week of feeling like we’re in a bit of a fog. Next week it’s back to work for John and pre-school and our “normal” (whatever that may be) again, so I think I might be ready to look back and evaluate at that point. Until then, I’ll be honest and say that I still haven’t even managed to look through all of the pictures from the holidays. Those that I have seen are mostly frantic shots I tried to get of random moments that end abruptly because I decided to put the darn camera down and just enjoy the time with my kids and family.

So, instead, I decided to post a quick and easy project for book storage for kids. I wish I could take credit for the idea, but I can’t. I wish I could at least give credit for the idea, but I can’t for the life of me remember where I got it – though probably somewhere among all of the posts I searched full of ideas for gutters as storage for books. {If you know where I found it, please share – I’d love to add a link!} What I do know is that we have a lot of  children’s books floating around our house and we can always use extra storage space for them. Some live downstairs on the bottom shelves of the grown up bookshelves. Some live in the corner of their room and wind up always being stacked on top during cleanup. Some lived on a second bookshelf that lived in the closet, but that got re-purposed just before Christmas to be ready for post-Christmas toy organization. So we decided to put up a few bookshelves on their wall:

They’re Ikea spice racks, $3.99 each. Not huge in size, but just the right size to keep a few in reach and easy to put away. Not that we have any issue with pulling out a book around here, but I’ve read a lot about how much more likely children are to reach for books when they can see a full cover and I’ve been amazed by how much more interactive they really are with these shelves. I’m not sure if it’s really the novelty of the new shelves or the state of their older book shelf on the other side of their room, but they definitely go for books on these a million times more.

The old shelf(that still looks like this daily):

And, for posterity, the chaos that ensues around and behind me when I try to spend 10 seconds just taking pictures of some bookshelves:

Yes, they’re wearing a Halloween costume and his bathing suit/shirt(on her). Jumping off of beds. Reading books. Vacuuming. Probably ripping books when I wasn’t looking and saying 1500 times, “Be gentle…Be gentle…be gentle with the books…”

I should probably post soon with an update on how much their room doesn’t look like this anymore. But I can’t make any promises – rumor has it around here that I’m seriously considering switching out bedrooms because theirs is smaller and it feels like I have toys coming out of my ears and moving them into our bigger bedroom would give us space in their room for more of a play area. But, we’ll see. John’s working on finally finishing the kitchen, so he may not be a huge fan of flipping bedrooms any time soon. But that means that hopefully – hopefully – I’ll have a budget kitchen remodel (2-years in the making) to share very very soon.

1. August 20, 2014 6:57 am

Hi there everybody, here every one is sharing these kinds
    of familiarity, thus it’s good to read this webpage, and I used to
    visit this website every day.

2. August 21, 2014 8:22 am

I really like reading a post that will make men and women think.

Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

3. August 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Stink bugs have grown to be common within the northeast US and past.

I think oone of the worst sides of an stink bug infestation is
    that it can transfer out off your garden, the local
    farm or simply some fruit trees who are around you into your house.
    They were firt discovered in your country in 1998 in Allentown.

4. August 25, 2014 8:54 am

Around 3 pm, Easter time is the very best time to reserve the inexpensive tickets online.
    All That Is by Brian Salter Release Time: April 2, 2013 Retail Cost:
    $16. Do not be actually humiliated; the naked truth is our team’ve all been certainly there.

5. August 25, 2014 8:55 am

Around 3 pm, Easter time is the very best time to schedule the low-priced
    tickets online. Places like Safeway and also Wal-Mart have a device that could
    put the cover of your manual right toward the cake.
    Before you decide, established a conference or perhaps call with your agent in order to review the scenario.

6. August 25, 2014 9:47 am

I’m really loving the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into anny
    browser compatibility issues? A few of my blog visitors have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks
    great in Opera. Do you have any solutions to help fix
    this issue?

7. August 27, 2014 4:40 am

Élever développer toutes ses négatif au milleur
    cours en compagnie de confirmés contingent à l’égard de cliché offerts et acheter inattaquables éditorial personnalisables (mugs,
    calendriers, spicilège négatif moins cher). Tablette après IPad (20) ACCESSORIZE Livraison offerte SWAROWSKI Livraison offerte ERAM
    Livraison offerte ALINEA Livraison offerte Boursorama, c’est un portail internet corroborés
    finances et en même temps que cette réticule.
    Toutes les actualités autour de ces une paire
    de univers étroitement liés sont disponibles dans saison réel sur
    cela circonstances. Suggestion non cumulable utilisable pendant bizarre seule fois dans tous
    ces magasins parmi France Métropolitaine, sauf produits chez promotion, soldes,
    1er montant, prestations avec service, pièces détachées puis produits exclusifs internet.
    Fors Répit, Atéa après timbre Dreaméa, valable du 26/11/13 au 22/12/13.

8. August 30, 2014 8:59 am

Hey there! I’ve been reading your website for some time now and
    finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out
    from Humble Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the good work!

1. My Favorite Corner
  2. 50 Clever DIY Storage Ideas to Organize Kids' Rooms - DIY & Crafts
  3. Nursery Essentials: 8 Affordable DIY Nursery ProjectsLullaby Paints

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 331 other followers