What to Make For Christmas Morning?

December 15, 2009

The conversation went like this:

Amelia: Whatcha doin’ mama?

Me: Looking for a recipe online.

A: What for mama?

Me: For Christmas morning! I want something I can make and have ready so we can have fun opening presents and have a yummy breakfast!

A: Mmmmmm – make canny-canes! Canny! {Translation: Candy, in case you didn’t get that.}

So, I was wondering if anyone out there in Blogland has a favorite Christmas breakfast tradition?  Preferably something savory that I can make ahead of time and just pop in the oven while we open presents? I can’t find any recipes that I’m loving and I’m fairly certain that candy canes will not be on my plate. This is the very first year that we will wake up in our own house to our own tree on Christmas morning – YAY! We just can’t wait!!

{This post is a part of Steady Mom’s Moms’ 30-Minute Blog Challenge}

Editing to add links to some recipes in case anyone else wants ideas, too!

1. December 15, 2009 9:17 am

I would just make a breakfast casserolle of some sort, if it were me. Our kids don’t open presents until after breakfast, so we always go simple-like cold cereal or cinnamon rolls from the store!

2. December 15, 2009 12:26 pm

We make croissants from the freezer (ready to bake) and I pipe custard into them or slip a lump of chocolate into them when we heat them… chocolate and custard croissants with coffee – works for us!!! And nearly no work!!!

3. December 15, 2009 3:04 pm

I foolishly began the tradition of making homemade cinnamon rolls many years and children ago. Not quick, but at least they are messy:) I think you should go for the candy canes.

4. December 15, 2009 6:52 pm

My grandmother always made a braid with cherries and nuts and this yummy glaze. I usually just make muffins or coffee cake. I’m thinking about bringing back the braid tradition this year.

5. Victoria permalink
    December 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks for the links. I’m going to take a peek for ideas for our Christmas morning.
    We usually fend for ourselves after opening gifts and lounging around the house. But, I may find something yummy to make this year!

6. December 15, 2009 11:03 pm

We always do scrambled eggs, sausage, and biscuits. While it is a largely simple breakfast, one of the few times in a year when we let the men eat like this🙂, it makes a big mess. And then we clean it up and start to make a big, heavy, messy dinner. I am going to check out your links and see if there isn’t something make-ahead that we might try this year. If it is yummy enough, I don’t think anyone will be too sad. Thanks for the inspiration.

7. December 16, 2009 11:48 am

My mom always made a cardamom wreath. I was thinking of doing it this year, but I’m afraid of how it will turn out…

8. Liz permalink
    December 16, 2009 12:42 pm

Here’s my favorite breakfast recipe. It comes together really quickly – and you can also bake and then reheat that morning. The grits kind of sink to the bottom and make a crust, so it ends up being like a quiche.

Grits Casserole
    1/3 c grits
    1/2 c water
    1/4 tsp salt
    12 oz can FF evaporated milk
    1.5 c diced lean ham (or soy sausage, cut into small pieces and sauteed)
    1 c soy or FF cheddar cheese, shredded
    3 eggs, beaten, or egg whites
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp dried parsley
    2-3 dashes of hot sauce (I leave this out)

Boil water and salt; add grits, remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes. Mix in other ingredients and pour into a deep pie pan. Cook at 350* for 40-45 minutes. Test with a knife to make sure center is done. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

9. December 20, 2009 1:40 am

We do croissants (ready to go from the freezer section) with ham (sliced from the deli) cheese (also presliced) and tomato (LOL this is the only thing I have to slice!) I pop the croissants in the oven – put cheese, ham and tomato on a plate on the table and we are ready to go. If I wanted to doubly bless my family I could build the croissant with the ham, cheese and tom. and pop them back in the oven to melt the cheese but that rarely happens because the idea is that I don’t spend much time in the kitchen. I personally would prefer danish pastries with my cuppa-tea but my dh likes savoury so this has become our tradition.

10. October 16, 2011 11:30 am

RT @metrotwitapp: Just our luck, when we’re about to push out new MetroTwit update, Twitter API is having major issues again http://t.co/OIkijsGu

11. October 17, 2011 3:38 am

Twitter, Facebook, API, Evernote, Openid, github, SourceForge, Java, PHP, emacs, TEX, Fedora, Utsu, Shinitai, Kurushi, Tasukete, Mou-Dame-Da

12. October 18, 2011 8:39 am

Hiya, I am really glad I have found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossips and internet and this is really frustrating. A good website with exciting content, that is what I need. Thanks for keeping this website, I’ll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Cant find it.