Rainbow Cake

February 23, 2010

I first saw this rainbow cake a couple of weeks ago and fell completely, hopelessly in love. I decided that one of my kids(and maybe even both?) WILL have it for their birthday cake this year! But it’s a lot of time – you have to refrigerate for 2 hours or freeze for 1 hour in between each of 8ish(depending how many colors you choose) layers to keep it from toppling and smooshing. That’s a lot of time, and I’m willing to do it for a birthday, but I wanted some rainbow fun for immediate gratification, too. So I shared the link with some friends and I was led to this rainbow cake and I figured it was a bit more up my alley time-wise over the weekend.

I cannot even begin to describe to you what joy this cake brought to a 2.5 year old – making it, testing batter, eating it – all of it was pure bliss to her! If you’re thinking of doing it with your kids, definitely do it. We mixed, divided, talked about colors, counted, watched it cook…so many fun things to learn!

The basic instructions: make cake batter(I used a box yellow because it’s what I had, I would have used white if we had any), split it into the number of colors you want to use, add the coloring, put half of each color in your baking pans layering each color directly on top of one another in the center.

A few tips:

-I *tried* to get creative and add a bit of white in between each layer, but it wasn’t the best idea – I’d advise against it.

-Use gel food coloring. I had never heard of it until recently when I started trying to make iced sugar cookies and then saw these rainbow cakes. I can’t believe the difference it makes! Great, saturated colors without thinning out batter or icing. I got them at Michael’s with a 40% off coupon. They’re also on Amazon, etc.

-I’m showing a weird picture with the blobs of food coloring below. That was the initial amount of gel food coloring I used and in all of them I wound up doubling that amount to get the color saturation I wanted.

-I frosted it with Magnolia Bakery’s Vanilla Buttercream(that’s not actually a buttercream.) Um, way.too.much.sweetness. That  frosting is just not my cup of tea at all, but that worked out for me since I didn’t really want to eat the cake much. Don’t get me wrong, I ate a bit;) Just not what I’d normally eat.

p.s. The ultimate rainbow cake:

Image as seen on Ohdeedoh, via Oh Happy Day from @dariusmonsef on Twitter

{Linking this post to Steady Mom’s Moms’ 30-Minute Blog Challenge

23 minutes start to finish since I had the pictures ready!}

1. Molly permalink
    February 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Very cool!! It looks wonderful! Looks like she had fun too. You’re a better Mom than I am, I made it while they were sleeping😉

2. February 23, 2010 7:47 pm

I just have to tell you how much I love reading your blog, and I’m pretty sure that I would love being a kid growing up in your house. I’m so impressed with all the fun, inexpensive things that you do with your kids. Keep up the good work Momma!

3. February 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Love it! Perhaps we’ll try it for Theo’s birthday🙂

4. February 24, 2010 4:27 am

Simply awesome – I wish I could get rounding to making so much effort – well worth it!!!

February 24, 2010 6:58 am

It does have seven colors – you could make it se7en+1;) I definitely don’t think I’d be taking this route if I had all of your little ones around!

5. February 24, 2010 7:46 pm

That looks great! My girlies would LOVE it!

6. chris Oldham permalink
    February 19, 2011 11:00 pm

I love love love this. We just made rainbow cupcakes – 64 of them for my daughters 6th birthday party at school. they were so much fun to make and the kids had a blast mixing them all up.
    thank you!!! What a treat – I can’t wait for the next birthday to do the same.

7. September 12, 2014 4:44 am

You are so interesting! I don’t think I’ve truly read something like this before.

So good to discover another person with genuine thoughts on this
    topic. Really.. thank you for starting this up. This site is one thing that’s needed on the web, someone with a little originality!

8. September 13, 2014 12:50 am

Hello, constantly i used to check website posts here in the early hours in the morning,
    as i love to gain knowledge of more and more.

9. September 13, 2014 4:59 am

Hey are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to
    the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my
    own. Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

10. September 18, 2014 8:15 am

Kenya and have been around in great numbers except now that they are under threat due
    to human encroachment on their habitats. For while the market may be pumping
    out what seems like endless noise, if you listen. This can be taken good, or it could mean you’re a small squirrel that
    has come into the path of a rabid lion.

11. September 20, 2014 11:31 pm

I have read so many posts on the topic of the blogger lovers however this
    article is genuinely a good paragraph, keep it up.

12. September 21, 2014 2:00 am

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I
    to find It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to provide something again and aid others such as you aided me.

13. September 24, 2014 8:54 pm

Right here is the perfect web site for anybody who wants to understand this topic.
    You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with
    you (not that I really will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic which
    has been discussed for a long time. Wonderful stuff, just excellent!

14. September 25, 2014 9:38 am

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs
    really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to
    come back in the future. All the best

15. September 25, 2014 2:53 pm

great submit, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite experts of this
    sector do not understand this. You should continue your writing.
    I am confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!

16. September 26, 2014 2:37 am

My brother suggested I may like this website. He was once totally right.
    This submit actually made my day. You can not believe just how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

17. October 5, 2014 8:48 am

So verrissen zocken auch sein mag, so ist experimentell erwiesen, dass daddeln, ein dem Alter des Gamers
    angemessenes Spiel vorausgesetzt, förderlich für den Geist des Gamers ist.
    Beim Spielen lernt man fernab vom Alltag schnell Urteile zu fällen und seine Prioritäten zu
    setzen. Einige Computerspiele vermitteln darüber hinaus
    auch Basiswissen über Ökonomie und fördern logisches Denken. Selbst die verpönten MMOs können doch sehr oft den vorgeschobenen Effekt der Abwendung von der Realität} umkehren. Der Spieler mag
    mitunter so manchen unfreundlichen Leuten begegnen,
    allerdings findet man öfters genau in seinem
    Lieblings-Game Gleichgesinnte.
    Im Endeffekt: Gaming ist genial! Daddeln ist Kunst.

18. March 18, 2015 3:10 pm

So this is critical to breast cancer fundraiser items their everyday lives in the first place.
    So the primary risk factors. Have an annual breast exam every month, I think the measures of therapies.
    No cancer cells are the tumor, and when we see women develop breast cancer therapies.
    The cancer can be used as an exclusively female-related disease.

This prompted the suggestion of breasts, breast cancer fundraiser items so
    that you should stay on those around me. With the
    refreshing scent of Gingerbread?

19. May 20, 2015 1:13 am

I’ve read a few excellent stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking
    for revisiting. I surprise how much attempt you place to
    make this sort of wonderful informative website.

20. June 15, 2015 7:13 am

The company has a lengthy reputation for top quality
    by kitchen reviewers, giving this cookware the highest scoring
    reviews of kitchen product lines. Don’t forget to create space for your new cookware and get rid of your old pots and pans that produce particles that are mixed with your food and damage your inner
    health. Delicate work will most often be done with your paring knife and it is important that it be kept sharp.

21. August 22, 2015 6:07 pm

Good post and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is truly the best place
    to ask but do you folks have any idea where to get some professional writers?
    Thanks in advance🙂