I’m Re-Thinking the Raised Beds

April 23, 2010

Nick likes the raised beds how they are so much, I was thinking I might just leave them as they are as play yards for the summer! Throw in a few toys and we’ll call it a day! {Just kidding – sort of;)}

What really is making me groan thinking about them, though, is the cost of filling them. I really didn’t think well on that – it’s just dirt, right?? Wrong. Dirt is NOT cheap! We’re hunting all over for compost at the different municipalities this weekend, then after that we’re going to have to bite the bullet and just eat it and pay what we need to to get them done. My peas are begging to get outside. They’re overtaking everything in the basement and I’m so excited that I actually have stuff growing down there that I want to keep it that way!

My mom found us the greatest high chair at a yard sale – $5! We’ve been needing a new one – the old one was a Graco circa 1993-ish with no cover and ropes to tie him in. And it was HUGE. And it was also from a yard sale. She found the new one just in time. She called me Friday night to say she had found it and I had planned to head to BRU or something like that Saturday morning to get one of those plastic booster high chairs that would take up less space.

This weeks Farmer’s Market Friday Pic – from our favorite, closest market.

Head over to Flickr if you want to add yours to the group!

Happy Weekend Everyone! Stay tuned next week – I’m going to be re-visiting my Iced Coffee Love!

1. April 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Oh, those radishes look delicious. Ours just came up in the garden a few days ago. I cannot wait! I hear you about the dirt. It was bucks for good dirt. Love the highchair!

2. seekingsibling permalink
    April 23, 2010 8:37 pm

I think it cost me about $100 for the SFG compost, vermiculite and peat moss. I had some vermiculite and peat left over b/c of the sized bags it comes in. We kept that in there for 2 years, then this year dug it out, fixed the weed cloth (double layer that stuff and try to get it to go UNDER the box so nothing comes up around the edge), and shoved it back in with what we had left over from last time. Good luck!

3. April 23, 2010 11:30 pm

that high chair is a total steal! i’m jealous!

4. ell.uu permalink
    April 26, 2010 7:30 pm

we just built our beds yesterday. we called a local nursery and garden supply place…they’re delivering 2 tons (i think) of dirt – a mix of soil and peat, ideal for garden beds – for just under $200. we have two 12×3 beds that are 6 inches deep, to give you an idea of how much dirt that is.

5. seekingsibling permalink
    April 29, 2010 8:05 pm

ps- is that grass poking up from the weed cloth? You might want to set your beds on the weed cloth if it isn’t too late and double it up. WE had to dig ours out after 2 years b/c the grass was working its way in. ARGH!

April 29, 2010 8:10 pm

It was, but it’s gone now. We had the weed stuff down to work on killing some grass before we dug it all out. Last week before we put dirt in, John pulled up the weed barrier, dug out all the grass, then put down two layers of the fabric(that he staple gunned to the sides?) plus another layer of the roll of the paper weed barrier. Hopefully that does the trick for at least this year!

1. Setting Up the Yard For Nature Play «