Backyard Camping

August 13, 2011

She wanted to have a camp out in the backyard, but I realized that for the first time in my life, I don’t own a tent. A blanket on the ground.  Sheets held up by clothespins.  A string of white Christmas lights. Hot dogs on the grill and marshmallows and makeshift s’mores and watermelon dripping down our arms.  Reading bedtime books with the sheets gently flapping.  Staying up a bit late to lay on our backs and look up into the trees. Perfection.

1. August 13, 2011 10:53 am

Honestly, this may be my favorite kind of camping. Sure *real* camping is a joy, but for the essential pleasure of time together outdoors, it’s hard to be beat the simple, immediate fun of hanging sheets and cooking on the grill!

2. August 13, 2011 11:41 am

I always look forward to your posts. You have some of the prettiest sheets I’ve ever seen too😉

3. August 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Wow! Beautiful photographs! When I was a kid I loved backyard camping. Your hanging sheets remind me of building elaborate “forts” in the living room….

4. August 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Can we please come do summer at your house?!

ps…your tent is by far better than the real deal.🙂

5. August 14, 2011 3:58 pm

Can you be my Mama? So sweet.

6. August 14, 2011 9:11 pm

you are the best momma EVER!!! [and i am going to totally steal this idea!]

7. August 14, 2011 11:39 pm

This is such a cute idea! Great pictures of the day also. I especially like the little one standing in the “tent”. So adorable

8. August 21, 2011 6:31 pm

I remember camping in the back yard with my kids…and I could just go inside the house and use my own bathroom! And nice sheets….

9. September 11, 2011 6:21 am

This put a huge smile on my face. I think I’ll go and make a tent outside now…

10. April 10, 2012 6:06 am

simple and beautifull ! I wish I had a tree like that in my little garden to do a similar one.