Giving Us All a Break

August 16, 2011

I’m tired today. You won’t hear me say that often.  Not that I’m not tired, it just seems like one of those things that’s so assumed with where I am in life that it just seems like such a pointless thing to waste time time expressing.

But today, I’m tired.  I’ve been doing a terrible job lately at making sure I get to bed on time and instead have gotten into the vicious cycle of staying up too late and drinking caffeine all day to compensate and we all know how well that doesn’t work.  I had a big list of things I wanted to accomplish today. It’s the first of three days off in a row, so I wanted to stay home all day and get lots done – way too much laundry, organize toys that are just heaped in abandoned piles, make cookies, wash floors and bathroom, do art projects and make a yummy dinner.

The day started with three outfits changes before 8:30am for the two year old – one after breakfast’s food mess and two after-potty accidents plus  a duvet cover and towels that needed to be washed after the got, um, soiled, when said two year old took off running while we were cleaning up an accident and decided to rub his not-yet-wiped bum on everything. Oy.

Then I displaced my annoyance and  got completely annoyed at the world. I’m kind of mature like that sometimes.  I got annoyed at all of the messes everywhere.  I got annoyed at my husband and came *thisclose* to sending him a sarcastic email thanking him for not cleaning up our bedroom last night like he said he would and for leaving dinner crumbs on the table. I got annoyed at the 4 year old for being on her third outfit for the day and seeing the first two scattered in bits and pieces.

Then I got a grip and took a deep breath.  Why do we put so much on our plates, then get overwhelmed and annoyed when we never accomplish it all? I didn’t send an email to my husband, I knew he was exhausted yesterday because of allergies and his new job and that he probably crashed and went to sleep when he put the kids to bed.  I know that he’s having a rough time and that me whining about a room not being picked up is just going to make him feel worse.  I know that my daughter is just getting excited about her different outfits and, quite honestly, it’s hard to get upset when her mess is just as much amongst my own messes scattered around my room.

So I gave us all a break and didn’t say anything and it felt really good. I knelt down and gave my kids a hug and gathered a load of laundry. Decided to shorten my list and just attempt to finish a lot of laundry today and make a yummy dinner for us to all sit and enjoy together. Turned on Sesame Street for the kids to buy myself 15 minutes to sit down and write a bit on here because I knew it would help me to re-center. Poured myself a glass of Diet Pepsi and got to it.

I do feel better.  I have laundry waiting to be folded and it’s going to get put away immediately.  We’re going to have an early lunch and I’m going to nap with the kids.  Instead of Shepherd’s Pie for dinner, it’s going to be easy burgers and roasted potatoes and a quick salad.  The art project is going to be coloring. I am going to send my husband an email, but it’s going to be a funny e-card because I know he could use a laugh today.

Want to join me? Want to give yourself and someone else a break today?

1. August 16, 2011 10:25 am

I love your photos and I love your writing! I subscribed a while back and have enjoyed each post that comes my way. Thanks for sharing these precious days… I wish I had documented them more. The photos of my 15, 19, and 21 yr old’s messes would not be as sweet!:-/ The time is gone in a blink, so it’s wonderful when you can slow down, breath through them and smile. Nice work!

2. August 16, 2011 10:41 am

I have been to your blog before but it’s been a while. Not sure why. But today I was brought back by I Heart Naptime and I’m SO glad. I have about 2 of these days every week. And I always promise myself I won’t let it happen again but inevitably, it does. Why are my husbands dirty socks on the floor always the trigger that puts me over the edge?!? And on the good days I do what you did. Preoccupy the kids for a few minutes to corral the worst mess, take a deep breath, then forget the rest and enjoy my day with my girls. Then there are a few extra bad days when I do send that scathing text/email. And I always wish I could take it back. Especially now knowing that we have only a week left before he leaves for a deployment until who knows when. Thanks for the honesty.

3. August 16, 2011 11:18 am

“Why do we put so much on our plates, then get overwhelmed and annoyed when we never accomplish it all.”

This question is right up there with how big is infinity?

I’m with you.

Nice to meet you. : )

4. August 16, 2011 1:50 pm

I am so thankful to read this today. We had “one of those days” here yesterday…it was terribly yucky. Everything bugged me. Everything seemed to be a mess. Thankfully, I bit my tongue most of the day. At around 4, when I was dying to see my husband walk through the door in an hour, my 11 year old reminded me it was Monday and that dad works late on Monday. Through tears I sent all 4 kids out to weed the garden (partly just because I needed them out of the house, and partly because it needed to be done) and I stayed inside and cried. I’m not typically a crier. By the time my husband came home, everyone had been fed an easy dinner, read a book and tucked in bed. I went to bed hours earlier than I have been lately-and it was so good.

I, too, am forever guilty of putting too much on my plate (and having crazy expectations of myself) and then feeling annoyed (and insert a little bit of mom-guilt) that I don’t come close to getting it all done. Thank you so much for your realness-that’s why I always come back here-oh, and of course, for your beautiful photos, too!

• June 2, 2012 2:18 am

We’re a bunch of volunteers and siatrtng a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with useful info to work on. You have done an impressive job and our whole community might be grateful to you.

5. shellyfinn permalink
    August 16, 2011 2:48 pm

I love this! I have days where I’m in a constant state of annoyance about messes, piles, and my husband.🙂 This is a good reminder. Thank you!

6. Thelma permalink
    August 16, 2011 3:54 pm

I just found your blog! I love your writing and photography!🙂

AND Thank you for this post. I really needed it today!

7. August 17, 2011 6:59 am

Good advice to all busy people everywhere! Great post and well done for keeping it in under such trying circumstances… I will be feeling your pain in a very short time as we need to potty train our 2 yr old before he can start preschool in December!

There are too many times when I’ve let it all out for no good reason other than tiredness and having too high an expectation of what I can/should be achieving in a day.😦 Suspect we’re SO not alone in that.

Here’s to putting it back in the bank instead of always drawing down🙂

8. August 17, 2011 9:07 am

Great perspective, Lillian. Lord knows we all have these days, these moments…

9. August 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks for the blog…I feel like that sometimes. I just had someone drop in and house was a mess, blinds just fell down, in the middle of making lunch, son is covered in chocolate ice-cream and daughter keeps replaying justin bieber songs. I have a million things to get done…You just reminded me before I start in on everyone to slow down.

10. August 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Oh, so glad (I know that sounds mean) that I am not the only one who runs around like crazy. Now that the baby is sleeping through the night, I get cocky, and I too, stay up way too late. Things don’t get done that should, and my patience is lacking.

I just found your blog, and I love it. I had it bookmarked, so I don’t know why I haven’t spent more time here! Your photos are beautiful. Can’t wait to do some more exploring.

Thanks for the great post!

11. September 4, 2011 8:30 am

Thank you for posting this. It’s nice to be in good company.

I have taken to setting my timer and telling myself I will do something productive for 15 minutes à la Flylady when I want to rant on days like you describe. Usually I can get enough done in 15 minutes that, at a bare minumum and on the worst of days, I can’t picture myself throttling anyone anymore.