Painting and Switching

January 30, 2012

John painted this weekend – it’s almost time for the big switch! Almost 3 years of living in this house and we’re in the home stretch of painting. He finished our (old) bedroom this weekend and the staircase and upstairs hallway will be done this week, marking the completion of John painting basically every interior wall and ceiling in this house. When we moved in, the entire house had been painted top to bottom(i.e., ceilings included) in a flat beige paint. It was workable for sure, we made it three years, and we were thankful that it was neutral when we moved in with 3 weeks until Nick was due and he wound up being born a week after we moved in. But the flat paint + kids combo meant some really dirty walls. Fresh paint feels good.

We’re switching rooms with the kids soon and, since we only have two bedrooms, that meant that this weekend we shoved all of the beds into one room and bunked together to make room for painting.  It literally kept the kids occupied for almost the whole weekend – yet another example of how convinced I am that my kids don’t want or need toys;) We’re moving to the smaller room and putting the kids in the bigger room to make more play space since we don’t really have separate playroom, etc. space.  It’ll be a bit until both rooms are actually done, but I’m excited to share the results!

1. January 30, 2012 8:50 am

Weird, maybe something is ‘in the air’ this weekend, but I spent the entire time painting too! I’m almost done reclaiming the girls’ bedroom set!

2. January 30, 2012 11:04 am

Bouncing on beds, getting new walls, and switching things around… so much to love!

3. January 30, 2012 11:14 am

i hate and love painting, love the end – but hate the painting part. Our little ones will be sharing a room too and we have talked about switching down the road. Can’t wait to see the finished rooms!

January 30, 2012 12:59 pm

Agreed on the love/hate! John does the painting and I do the rest of the stuff for the room – it works out:)

4. January 31, 2012 11:39 am

That’s an idea we’ve always toyed with, giving the kids the bigger space so that they have more floor room. We hope to move this year, so maybe I can convince my husband then.😉

January 31, 2012 11:41 am

Stay tuned and I can let you know how it turns out! I know it invites more space for “stuff” but the shift from living room to bedroom where I can close the door is a bit too enticing to not try right now;)

5. February 1, 2012 2:31 pm

I’ve nominated you for another blog award. While these are a bit nebulous, the point is that your work is much appreciated by this fellow blogger. I always smile, when I read your posts and your photos are simply fantastic! Congratulations, and check it out: http://talesfromthemotherland.me/

6. February 3, 2012 5:04 pm

Can’t wait to see the results! We have moved so many times that I have really started to hate painting-UGH!

7. Sarah permalink
    October 21, 2012 10:36 pm

I oringinally discovered your blog looking for a “pale turquoise” paint for my daughter’s room…it was an image she you just finished your kids room..now look! They’re growing up…the color’s still beautiful!
    The sentiment on your blog is lovely and I think your photography is breathtaking. Thanks for sharing!
    Will you please also share the paint name?
    Thank you!