In the Morning

March 23, 2012
tags:

Early this week, I decided that I’d photograph our morning. It was springs and warm and sunny and I have been focusing so much on a million different things lately that I haven’t been taking as many normal, “slice of life” photos of the kids.  My mornings are my time with the kids.  We have our norms and they vary a bit, but generally we get up and get dressed, watch George, have breakfast, play a little then head out if we need to – to preschool, for errands, to play with friends.  I try to dedicate more days to staying home entirely, but with necessary lunch and nap time in the afternoon followed often by me needing to get to work by 4pm, the mornings are our time of doing.  So I wanted to document the normal a bit. I liked it so much that I continued it over a few days – playing outside, dyeing eggs, eating breakfast in the backyard and in bed, making art projects, visiting a neighbor, playing, visiting Grandpa, stopping for lunch groceries, getting some seeds planted, buying some lettuce plants. Nothing too crazy and that’s just how we like it!

(Yes, they’re Pop Tarts – don’t judge! They were a special treat and my kids didn’t even know what they were!)

1. March 23, 2012 5:18 pm

What a great morning. Makes me feel being there.

2. March 23, 2012 7:14 pm

A great idea; and a great job documenting it. Such a great thing to have all those photos. I love looking back at my parents albums of us growing up. Something to be treasured for sure.

I feel like when I have kids these are all the things I will love most; all the simple day to day things like going to the market, visiting the neighbors and craft time.

I love reading your posts; until next time!

3. March 25, 2012 9:08 am

So envious of all of that beautiful GREEN! It can be so brown here. And O has that same Hanna Anderson set. She’s long outgrown it, but it’s still one of my favorites. 🙂

March 27, 2012 8:15 am

I do always forget how brown it is there until I see a ton of green! Mia’s teacher says the same thing – her daughters also have it and it makes her think of when they were smaller. WHY do they have to get bigger???

4. maggiefoley permalink
    March 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Have you ever done: A Week in Your Life…? http://aliedwards.com/2010/04/the-basics-of-documenting-a-week-in-your-life.html.
    I love this idea and it has been a goal of mine, but life gets so in the way. Sometimes I think of just doing a day rather than a week, but even that just seems like more work than pleasure. I love documenting the little moments that count and love how you do it beautifully.

March 27, 2012 7:40 am

I haven’t, but I’ve heard of it! I’m terrible with projects like that – I’d get all excited and buy all of the supplies and start it and then never finish;) I do love the idea of a full day, that might be a little more do-able! Especially if you did bits over a few days – one morning, one lunchtime, afternoon, evening/dinner, getting ready for bed, a playdate or trip somewhere. That feels more manageable in bits and pieces and you would be so awesome at something like that!