Pumpkin Night

October 28, 2012

The weekend felt like the literal calm before the storm (Sandy.)  It was my birthday, but somehow 31 just feels so uneventful (and I kind of  like it that way, without any fuss.)  All weekend I just kept thinking of how gorgeous the leaves have been this fall.  They’ve been vibrant and full and held on for so long and I know it’s silly, but I just keep feeling melancholy that this storm is going to knock down all of the rest of those beautiful leaves before we have our last chance to squeak out some extra weeks of enjoying the colors of fall.

I know there are more important issues when it comes to the storm, but it’s what I keep going back to, so I started filling up the time with Christmas planning to make it all feel a little more jolly and fun.  I know there are so many people (my husband) who groan at the thought of all of the Christmas that’s already permeating everything, but this is my very favorite part of the holidays – the excitement and buildup and the freshness of it all.   When everyone is still excited and not yet stressed and worried about money and being busy and family dynamics.   When the inevitable letdown that is the actual day of a holiday isn’t quite near and it all just feels exciting and the kids still feel like it’s light-years away.  So I’m planning and getting things done now.  It feels good and not stressful or obligatory like it would in December and it means that time will be left in December for other things – I like that.

1. October 29, 2012 7:51 am

Another wonderful post. I love the photos of the kids doing their pumpkins. My 16 year old reminded me all weekend that we need to get a pumpkin, and we lamely never did it. I keep reflecting back on when our kids were so excited to do their pumpkins. When I decorated our yard with skeleton bones and fake spider webs, and now they are grown and I’m too lazy. Feh! I will try to get that pumpkin today, and do it with my boy… before he is really done with pumpkins for good!

I too, have been loving the leaves this year… we have a little more time with ours. I hope you all stay safe and have a few left to enjoy when this is all over! As for Christmas/Hanukkah (we celebrate both), I shudder.😉

October 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Yes, get that pumpkin!! I’m the same way – my kids have been begging for weeks and the only reason we actually did it was because the grocery store had “clearance” pumpkins for $2.99 because the stems were gone:) We didn’t go picking this year – I just didn’t feel like it at all.

• October 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Wish it got better… but alas. No more trick or treaters in our house, but tonight we carve pumpkins! Thanks for the inspiration.🙂

2. October 29, 2012 10:04 am

Now I wish we’d carved outside! Love your pictures!

Stay safe…

Katy in Kentucky

October 29, 2012 1:22 pm

It was so much easier! I rolled my eyes when my husband suggested it, but went with it because I knew I’d have better light for photos;) It was great – we (he) just hosed off the table.

3. Jenn permalink
    October 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!!

4. October 31, 2012 8:57 pm

yey! gooey, squishy pumpkin fun! I love the leaf-throwing picture the best. I’m with you on the gloomy of November — I have Christmas to help me make it through the cold, bleak winter, and then I hang on for the hope of spring! Happy birthday wishes to you, Lillian!