Hot Rollers

November 27, 2012

When I was little, a special occasion meant hot rollers.  Christmas Eve, getting our pictures taken, a special school concert meant that the rollers came out and a piece of tissue or toilet paper that my mom tucked around my ear so that it wasn’t too hot.  As I got older, I did it myself and it carried me through to special dances and ponytails that felt a little bit more pretty with curls.  It’s one of those random memories that sticks with me and reminds me of holidays and exciting times and, even though I’m sure people would laugh to know, I’ve always had a set of hot rollers.

It felt so strange at Thanksgiving to have them out for Mia’s hair.  One of those strange, “I cannot really be at this point in my life” moments when you realize that you are the one sitting in the bathroom putting the curlers in your little girl’s hair and that it’s not baby hair anymore – it’s legit, long, thick, shiny kid hair able to hold a curler.  She’s whining that they’re hot and I’m sitting there telling her that they’re not that hot and she’ll be fine and she whines that a little hair is caught and I know the exact feeling – that one painful hair that gets stuck and pulls.  She’ll learn it, too, and she’ll learn just the right way to pull it out gently to stop the pain without pulling it out entirely and leaving one hair that’s not curled.

The curls always come out just the same, falling softly and holding the soft shape of the curl at the end until the rollers are all out and just barely still warm. You run your fingers through it and fluff it all and enjoy it before the curl falls out and leaves it all just a little more smooth and with a little more body than normal.

1. November 27, 2012 12:06 pm

::sniff sniff:: and Love!

2. November 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Mom my did curlers in my hair too-the foam kind. Brings back lots of memories!

November 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Oh those pink foam rollers, I remember them!! I also had those crazy tube things that were all bendy:)

• December 4, 2012 11:52 am

I would sleep on my face so as not to disturb the pink sponge rollers. Suffering for beauty at such a young age…😉

December 9, 2012 6:23 pm

I’ve been considering the face-sleeping lately to save a few minutes in the morning, but it somehow doesn’t seem worth the effort or disturbing a good night of sleep;)

3. November 27, 2012 6:46 pm

My mom was a hair stylist, so I had whatever new fangled style came along! The picture of Mia with the curlers is gorgeous! You should be doing portraits! And landscapes… and…

4. Paige permalink
    November 28, 2012 6:54 pm

aw! what a cute post and pictures! How sweet to pass on the tradition to your daughter!

5. December 5, 2012 12:38 am

Love this!! I may have to bribe O to get curlers in her hair but I have some, too! LOVE THEM. I woke up early enough to hot roll my hair almost every morning all through high school. 😛

December 9, 2012 6:23 pm

That’s some serious dedication!!

6. Jenn permalink
    December 9, 2012 10:38 pm

I can remember that feeling, oh so well, of that one curler that hurts and being poked by a pin. And sleeping in them ugh!!! But you are right …. this is a sweet memory of childhood!