in the new year

January 8, 2013

I had big plans for the new blog to be ready for January 1st, but it’s not quite ready.  These things happen, but I’m still jumping to a new one sooner than later.  This month has been filled with work and family happenings that matter more than blogging and holidays and one of us constantly being sick.  The holidays were nice and calm, but it’s still all very exciting for this not-up-for-much-stimulation (read: boring) family.  We were supposed to celebrate the New Year with friend, but instead we’ll finish it out with 2 out of 4 of us sick, me up a little too late working on blogs and photo editing while I had a little buffalo chicken crack dip and watch Downton Abbey again.  (Random side note for the Downton Abbey lovers: Did you see Call the Midwife this fall??  I am so in love with that show, too!)

For the first time ever for me, a new year feels so sweet and exciting.  I don’t know what’s different.  Usually I feel sad about all that’s ending, mostly because my mom has always felt that way and says it every year.  But a fresh start and new year feels good right now, even with a list of things to do that has my head spinning.  I asked Mia what she wanted to do this year and her 5 year old list was simple: she wants to take swimming lessons and she wants to pick strawberries.  That I can handle.  And it’s the sort of resolution I can get on board with – simple and straightforward.   I feel similarly – I have one major thing I want to do in 2013: grow my business.  I’ve officially been in business for a year now and I feel so ready to really jump in and get moving.  I’m finishing my part-time job again  for real in a week and a half and headed full-force into making my business fun and fulfilling and smart and profitable this year.  I don’t even know that I’d consider it a resolution, just an intention that’s fueling my fire to get working and dream and growing and that’s always a good thing.

How about all of you?  How’s the new year for you so far??

1. January 8, 2013 11:32 am

Gorgeous photos, as ALWAYS. Always. Is that you walking with Mia, holding hands… so sweet, with the red coat. They are getting so big— I can see it just in the photos, so your head must be spinning indeed!

Carpe (as in Diem) that new joy for the New Year. Imagine if one day your children say: We always were excited for the new year, because our mother was… versus the message you got.😉 Wonderful new direction to take them and yourself in.

New business? Is that the photography, or did I miss something? Happy 2013 Lillian!

January 8, 2013 3:50 pm

Oh no, nothing new, just the photography. It’s my one year anniversary of being in business, actually! How is that possible?? SO true on the new year thoughts – it’s amazing how a little perspective can shift things so much:) I LOVE her sweet red coat and I think she’s officially outgrown it – so sad:( That’s actually my mother in law holding hands with her (when it snowed on Christmas Eve – it was so magical!)

• January 8, 2013 7:35 pm

Well your photography is brilliant, and beautiful, and very professional. I think you need to toot your own horn a lot louder and get your name out there! You are gooooood. all the best in this new year, with all endeavors.

January 9, 2013 10:45 pm

Thank you for the nice words:) I’m trying like mad, so it means a lot to hear such kindness! The horn tooting isn’t my greatest strength ever, but I’m definitely working on it to try to make this business keep chugging along!

• January 10, 2013 3:26 am

TOOT, TOOT!

2. January 8, 2013 3:27 pm

Love all the pics…but then I always do.🙂

Tell Mia I will go swimming with her and pick strawberries any old time she wants.

I know your business will be a huge, wonderful success this year. You are amazing and I am lucky to call you my friend.

3. Jen permalink
    January 9, 2013 11:18 am

For the first time I too am excited for the new year – my sadness hit on Christmas eve when I realized it was almost over. But now that the new year has arrived I am excited! No resolutions here either…just intentions. Intentions to do more for myself now that the boys don’t need to be clinging to me all day. And intentions to be more present with them when they do need me. Happy New Year!
    And I second the suggestion to toot your horn louder – you are an amazing photographer!

January 9, 2013 10:46 pm

Thank you! DOesn’t it feel so good to just have a fresh start on all of the things we tell ourselves we want to do in life??

4. January 9, 2013 9:08 pm

Happy New Year, Lillian! I LOVE your daughters resolutions. I resolve to pick berries and go swimming this year too. Wonderful. I’m so glad 2012 is done and gone with, truthfully. Here’s to holding on to the beauty of possibilities in 2013. Blessings to you! xoxo.

January 9, 2013 10:48 pm

Thank you! I love hers, too, and wish I could force myself to keep things just that simple in life:) Perhaps not realistic, but still worth a try! I feel the same about 2012. So glad for this new year and a fresh start. Happy happy New Year to you, too!